AddThis Smart Layers helps you get more of your content shared, grow your following on social media, and increase your visitors’ time on site. Smart Layers includes share buttons, follow buttons, and content recommendation tools.
Here are some tips for maximizing content engagement with our Smart Layers plugin:
- Add share buttons and follow buttons to make it easier for your visitors to share your content and follow you on social media
- Increase on-site engagement with your visitors by showing them related and trending content
- Easily turn tools on/off and customize their appearance by choosing from four different themes: light, gray, dark, and transparent
You can also register with AddThis to access even more share, follow, and recommended content tools, and get analytics that show how they are performing. After you register, these analytics are accessible by logging into your AddThis.com account and visiting your AddThis dashboard. Analytics include your top shared content, referring social networks, and more.
Check out our other plugins!
We also have plugins specifically available for:
For our Website Tools plugin, tools are configured in your AddThis account on AddThis.com.
- What services does AddThis support?
AddThis supports over 200 social sharing services, and over 60 follow services.
- Is AddThis free?
Many of our tools are free, but Pro users get the benefit of exclusive widgets, including mobile friendly tools
and retina icons, priority support and deeper analytics.
- Do I need to create an account?
No, you do not need to create an account in order to control a limited number of AddThis tools from within WordPress. In order to use more AddThis tools, more options and see your site’s analytics you will need to create an account with AddThis. It requires an email address and name, but that’s it.
- Why use AddThis?
- Ease of use. AddThis is easy to install, customize and localize. We’ve worked hard to make a suite of simple and beautiful website tools on the internet.
- Performance. The AddThis menu code is tiny and fast. We constantly optimize its behavior and design to make sharing a snap.
- Peace of mind. AddThis gathers the best services on the internet so you don’t have to, and backs them up with industrial strength analytics, code caching, active tech support and a thriving developer community.
- Flexibility. AddThis can be customized via an API, and served securely via SSL. Share just about anything, anywhere your way.
- Global reach. AddThis sends content to 200+ sharing services 60+ languages, to over 2 billion unique users in countries all over the world.
- What PHP version is required?
This plugin requires PHP 5.2.4 or greater and is tested on the following versions of PHP:
- Who else uses AddThis?
Over 15,000,000 sites have installed AddThis. With over 2 billion unique users, AddThis is helping share content all over the world, in more than sixty languages.
- Are there filters?
Yes! There are lots of filters in this plugin.
Filters allow developers to hook into this plugin’s functionality in upgrade-safe ways to define very specific behavior by writing their own PHP code snippets.
Developer documentation on our filters is available. This documentation lists all the filters for our plugins.
- Are there widgets?
Yes! There are widgets available for all AddThis inline tools (the ones that don’t float on the page).
If you register with an AddThis Pro account, you’ll also see widgets for our Pro tools.
Developer documentation on our widgets is also available. This documentation lists all the widgets for our plugins.
- Are there shortcodes?
Yes! There are lots of shortcodes in this plugin. There are shortcodes are available for all AddThis inline tools (the ones that don’t float on the page).
If you register with an AddThis Pro account, the shortcodes for our Pro tools will work for you, too.
See our documentation on our shortcodes. This documentation lists all the shortcodes for our plugins.
Nice plugin for enhancing content sharing on social media.
Yesterday plugin updated to ver 2.0.0. It seems that authors made strong code reengeneering. Now it calls wp-admin/admin-ajax.php.
I have locked wp-admin with .htpasswd on my site so after update nobody could open it because plugin called wp-admin/admin-ajax.php and it required authorization.
Settings do not help to solve this problem and even disabling the plugin. I had to uninstall it but made a couple of attempts after the autor reply on my case: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/security-issue-plugin-acess-to-admin-ajaxphp?replies=5
Unfortunatelly after 2 or 3 install and uninstall operations and attempts to change settings, the call to admin-ajax.php moved to the header of all pages and even total removal of plugin folder can't cut it of there.
I had no time to look for solution and recoverd site from backup. This plugin was hard to configure and had bugs and before, but that's enough for me. Going to find some alternates for share buttons and pannel.
Do not update to ver 2.0.0 if you locked wp-admin with password!
- Adding meta box to allow site editors to disable automatically added tools when editing posts and pages. Compatible with the Share Button by AddThis meta box. If disabled in one, auto adding of tools will be disabled in both.
- Redesigned the plugin’s widgets to work with AddThis.com’s support of multiple definitions of the same tool type. The class for the new widget is AddThisWidgetByDomClass. Widgets created through WordPress’s UI will automatically be migrated to use the new class. However, any hard coded use of the old widget classes will need to be updated before upgrading. Deleted widget classes: AddThisSharingButtonsSquareWidgets, AddThisSharingButtonsOriginalWidget, AddThisSharingButtonsCustomWidget, AddThisSharingButtonsJumboWidget, AddThisSharingButtonsResponsiveWidget, AddThisFollowButtonsHorizontalWidget, AddThisFollowButtonsVerticalWidget, AddThisFollowButtonsCustomWidget, AddThisRecommendedContentHorizontalWidget, AddThisRecommendedContentVerticalWidget. Developer documentation on the new widget is available.
- Fix for PHP Warning on AddThisFollowButtonsToolParent.php line 127
- Doing profile ID validation, sharing and follow service list retreival directly in the browser rather than proxying through a WordPress backend AJAX call. This will make this plugin work for “Ignore the tool configurations in this profile” mode in environments where the WordPress server can’t talk to AddThis.com.
- Plugin rewritten from scratch.
- Adding widgets and shortcodes.
- Includes the Follow Header tool as before, and adding Vertical Follow Buttons, Horizontal Follow Buttons and (Pro only) Custom Follow Buttons.
- Adding many new follow services
- Includes the Sharing Sidebar tool as before, and adding AddThis’ Mobile Sharing Sidebar, Sharing Buttons and Classic Sharing Buttons.
- Includes the Recommended Content Footer tool and What’s Next tool as before, and for registered users adding Horizontal Recommended Content, Vertical Recommended Content, What’s Next Mobile, and (Pro only) Recommended Content Drawer, Recommended Content Toaster, Jumbo Recommended Content Footer.
- Optionally, allows users to set up their AddThis account and AddThis site profile from inside WordPress.
- Optionally, walks existing AddThis users through logging into their AddThis account and picking a site profile to register their plugin without leaving WordPress. Once registered, AddThis is able to start collecting Analystics on your visitors social use of your site. No more copying in Profile IDs! (Analytics are only available at addthis.com.)
- After registering the plugin with AddThis, users will see more customization options for most tools. After registering, Pro users can edit settings for Pro Follow Button and Recommended Content tools from within WordPress. This also enables widgets and shortcodes for Pro tools.
- Shares most Advanced Options with the Share Buttons by AddThis plugin v 5.0+ and all Advanced Settings with Follow Buttons by AddThis, Related Posts by AddThis and Website Tools by AddThis (where installed).
- If you’re using the Follow Buttons by AddThis plugin as well, please ensure you have it updated to version 2.0.0 or newer. This plugin is not compatible with older version of the Follow Buttons plugin (1.3.1 and older). The order in which you upgrade the two plugins does not matter.
- Updating license for dependency
- Adding AddThis EULA
- Minor Bug fix
- Resolved conflict with WP-Supercache plugin
- Fix for servers without CURL support
- Resolved conflict with another plugin
- Minor update
- Minor update
- Better compatibility with other WordPress plugins from AddThis
- Better compatibility for servers with Magic Qoutes and ASP style short tags.
- Bug fix.
- Security fix.
- Bug fixes.
Contributors & Developers
This is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors