This plugin inserts Facebook Open Graph Tags into your WordPress Blog/Website for more effective and efficient Facebook sharing results.
It also allows you to add the Twitter Card tags for more effective and efficient Twitter sharing results.
It also allows you to add the Meta Description tag and Schema.org Name, Description and Image tags for more effective and efficient Google+ sharing results.
You can also choose to insert the “enclosure” and “media:content” tags to the RSS feeds, so that apps like RSS Graffiti and twitterfeed post the image to Facebook correctly.
It allows the user to choose which tags are, or not, included and also the default image if the post/page doesn’t have one.
BETA: It’s also possible to add a overlay logo to the image. The plugin will resize and crop the original image to 1200×630 and then overlay the chosen 1200×630 PNG file over it. Can be usefull to add your brand to the image that shows up on Facebook shared links.
Our settings page is discreetly kept under “Options”, as it should, instead of taking up premium sapce on the main menu bar with colored, non WordPress styled, icons.
The (Facebook) Open Graph Tags that this plugin inserts are:
- og:title: From post/page/archive/tag/… title.
- og:site_name: From blog title.
- og:url: From the post/page permalink.
- og:description: From post/page excerpt if it exist, or from post/page content. From category/tag description on it’s pages, if it exist. From tagline, or custom text, on all the others.
- og:image: From a specific custom field of the post/page, or if not set from the post/page featured/thumbnail image, or if it doesn’t exist from the first image in the post content, or if it doesn’t exist from the first image on the post media gallery, or if it doesn’t exist from the default image defined on the options menu. The same image chosen here will be used and enclosure/media:content on the RSS feed.
- og:image:width and og:image:height: Image dimensions.
- og:type: “website” or “blog” for the homepage, “product” for WooCommerce products and “article” for all the others.
- article:author: From the user (post author) Faceboook Profile URL.
- article:published_time: Article published time (for posts only)
- article:modified_time and og:updated_time: Article modified time (for posts only)
- article:section: From post categories.
- article:publisher: The website Facebook Page URL.
- og:locale: From WordPress locale or chosen by the user.
- fb:admins: From settings on the options screen.
- fb:app_id: From settings on the options screen.
- og:price:amount and og:price:currency: Price on WooCommerce products.
The Twitter Card Tags that this plugin inserts are:
- twitter:title: Same as
- twitter:url: Sames as
- twitter:description: Same as
- twitter:image: Same as
- twitter:creator: From the user (post author) Twitter account.
- twitter:site: The website Twitter account.
- twitter:card: With value “summary_large_image” or “summary”.
The (Google+) Schema.org Tags that this plugin inserts are:
- name: Same as
- description: Same as
- image: Same as
- author: From the user (post author) Google+ profile URL.
- publisher: The website Google+ Page URL.
- canonical: Same as
- meta description: Same as
- meta author: From the user (post author) Display Name.
- meta publisher: From the website title.
- enclosure: On RSS feeds, same as
- media:content: On RSS feeds, same as
3rd Party Integration:
- Yoast SEO: Allows you to use title, url (canonical) and description from the Yoast SEO plugin.
- WooCommerce: On product pages sets
og:typeto “product” and adds the price including tax to the
product:pricetags. Also allows you to use the Product Category thumbnails as Open Graph Image and have Product Gallery images as additional Open Graph Images
- SubHeading: Add the SubHeading to the post/page title.
- Business Directory Plugin: Allows you to use BDP listing contents as Open Graph Tags.
- Yoast SEO shows up a big nasty warning if both plugins are active. Is the world in danger if I keep both plugins active?
No it isn’t.
You can (and, in our opinion, you should) use both plugins. If you want to use Yoast SEO for your SEO needs and our plugin for social media meta tags you just have to go to “SEO > Social” and disable settings for Facebook, Twitter and Google+.
If you don’t find that option, because they’ve now made it harder to reach, you have to go to “SEO > Dashboard > Features > Advanced settings pages > choose Enabled and Save changes”. Then you can reach “SEO > Social”.
Then set up our plugin as you wish and you’re ready to go.
We like to work with everybody, so (if you want to) our plugin can even integrate with Yoast SEO and use it’s title, description and canonical URL on the Facebook, Google+ and Twitter tags.
- Facebook is not showing up the correct image when I share a post. What can I do?
- Are you using a big enough image? The minimum image size is 200×200 pixels but we recommend 1200×630.
- Are you sure you only have one
og:imagetag on the source code? Make sure you’re not using more than one plugin to set OG tags?
- Go to the Facebook URL Debugger, insert your URL, click
Debug. Then click on
Scrape againto make sure Facebook gets the current version of your HTML code and not a cached version. If the image that shows up on the preview (bottom of the page) is the correct one, then the tags are well set and it “should” be the one that Facebook uses when sharing the post. If it still does not use the correct image when sharing, despite the debugger shows it correctly, there’s nothing more we can do about that. That’s just Facebook being Facebook.
- When I save/edit my post I get the “Facebook Open Graph Tags cache NOT updated/purged” error. Should I worry?
Each time you edit a post, if the option “Try to update Facebook Open Graph Tags cache when saving the post” is activated, we’ll try to notify Facebook of the changes so it clears up it’s cache and read the new Open Graph tags of this specific URL.
If this is a new post and it’s the first time you’re saving it, the error is “normal” and you should ignore it (wer’re looking at a workaround to not show you this error).
If this is not a new post and it’s not the first time you’re saving it, and if this happens always, then maybe your server does not support calling remote URLs with PHP and you should disable the “Try to update Facebook Open Graph Tags cache when saving the post” option. In that scenario we recommend you to use the Facebook URL Debugger to
Fetch new scrape informationeach time you update your post.
- Can this plugin get content from “random plugin”?
If there’s a popular plugin you think we could get content from to use on the meta tags, use the support forum to tell us that.
If you are a plugin or theme author you can always use our filters
fb_og_localeto customize the Open Graph (and other) meta tags output.
- There’s a similar plugin on the repository, by Heateor. Is this the same?
It’s similar, yes. They’ve forked our plugin and gave no credits whatsoever for our original work.
- Do you provide email support?
We DO NOT provide email support for this plugin. If you send us an email asking for support you’ll be invited to:
1. Post the question on the support forum
2. Or we can give you a quote on premium email/phone support if you prefer to
must have if you using woocommerce for the type product
It’s help get big image when I share a link
I love All in one SEO and I use it for SEO Purpose. That plugin have the social meta feature. But, It didn’t help me to change the og description. But this plugin helped me and provided all settings I need. Thanks to the developer.
One of the best plugin that I’ve seen. He solved the hands of many problems I had on the promotion of my website. Thank you very much!
Works as expected
This plugin saved me! Simple install and easy to specify og:image for products and posts! Would love to be able to see separate options for Twitter Card images (if that is even possible?).
Contributors & Developers
“Facebook Open Graph, Google+ and Twitter Card Tags” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
fb_og_outputfilter on the plugin global output
get_gallery_attachment_ids, to get additional WooCommerce product images, from WooCommerce 3.0 up (Thanks Manu Calapez)
- Tried to fix the white screen of death problem in some server environments
- New option to use “prefix” attribute instead of “xmlns” (Thanks thomasbachem)
- Tested and adapted to work with WooCommerce 3.0.0-rc.2
- Fixed the WooCommerce product price tag name from
- Fixed a bug on the database version update mechanism
- Fixed a bug for custom taxonomy descriptions (Thanks karex)
Tested up totag
- Better error handling when the overlay PNG image is not found or a valid image file;
- When using the overlay PNG option, the image is filled with previously filled with white in case the original OG image is a transparent PNG
fb_og_thumb_fill_colorcan be used to use another color other than white, by returning an array with the rgb value
- On some server configurations using an overlay PNG would result on a 404 error on the
Tested up totag
fb_og_enabledfilter that allow other plugins/themes to completely disable the tags output on specific situations
- Fix: Use
WP_PLUGIN_DIRinstead of harcoded paths (Thanks thomasbachem)
- Fix: Extra validation when getting Yoast SEO’s icon on the 3rd party settings tab
- Calculated image dimensions are now stored in, 1 day valid, transients in order to avoid unnecessary http requests and improve performance (Thanks Piotr Bogdan)
- Non-breaking spaces are converted to normal spaces on the description, because they aren’t needed there and this way we can really trim the description
- Fixed WPML homepage custom description translation that was broken on 2.0
- New default description field (WPML translatable) to be used on any website post / page / cpt / archive / search / … that has an empty description, instead of using the homepage description like we were using until now
- Fixed some PHP notices and warnings
- Small tweaks on the settings page
- Fixed a PHP Notice on WPML root pages (Thanks @marcobecker)
- New experimental feature: Added the possibility to set
itemscope itemtypeto the HTML Tag in order to avoid W3C and Structured Data validation errors
- Updated settings page informations to include the existent filters for each option
- Fixed a PHP Notice on the upgrade routine (Thanks @jluisfreitas)
- Updated FAQs
- We would like to thank Heateor, “a creative team with unique ideas in mind” (their words), for forking our plugin (although no credits whatsoever were made regarding our original work), and thus trully inspiring us to make this new version, using also their “unique” ideas, in the spirit of GPL, but giving them the deserved credit in the spirit of civism, integrity and the WordPress way of doing things
- Revised and optimized code with better WordPress standards and best practices
- Completely redesigned settings screen
- Fixed Business Directory Plugin integration (only works with CPT integration activated)
- Removed Google authorship (link rel=”author”) tag because it isn’t used anymore
- Added meta
- New option to either keep or delete plugin configurations upon uninstall
- Fixed a bug where a custom taxonomy description was not being correctly set
og:price:currencytags now correctly set as
- Bug fix: WooCommerce price integration wasn’t working on WooCommerce >= 2.6 (Thanks @jluisfreitas)
Tested up totag
- Version number fix
- Portuguese translation update
- Overlay PNG will only be used on locally hosted images
fb_og_image_overlayfilter to be able to disable Overlay PNG programatically based on whatever needs of the developer
- Better texts about the Overlay PNG function on the settings page
- Minor fixes
- WooCommerce integration: on product pages sets
og:typeto “product” and adds the price including tax to the
- New experimental feature: Add overlay PNG logo to the image
- Minor fixes
- Fix: changed
twitter:image:srcmeta name to
- Tested with WordPres 4.5 RC2
- Avoid php notice on the “Members” plugin role edit page
- Better SubHeading plugin compatibility (choose either to add it Before or After the title)
- Description set the same value as the title if it’s empty
og:typefor WPML root pages
- Added the fb_og_type filter so that plugins or themes can override the Open Graph Type
- Added the fb_og_url filter so that plugins or themes can override the Open Graph URL
- WordPress 4.4, WooCommerce 2.4.12 and PHP 7 compatibility check – All good!
- NEW WooCommerce integration: Category thumbnail images and additional product images as Open Graph Images
fb_og_image_additionalfilter so other plugins/themes can add additional Open Graph Images
- Hide our meta box on some custom post types, and add a new
fb_og_metabox_exclude_typesfilter so other plugins/themes can hide our metabox on their CPTs
- Several tweaks on the settings page
- Added the fb_og_locale filter so that plugins or themes can override the Open Graph locale tag
- Bug fix: Google+, Twitter and Facebook profile fields would not be available on the user profile if Yoast SEO was not active
- Fix: Eliminates php notices introduced on 1.6.2
- Fix: Replaces all spaces by %20 on URLs (
og:image, etc…), thanks to “Doc75”
- WPML compatibility: If the frontpage is set as “latest posts” and a custom homepage description is used, it can now be translated to other languages in WPML – String translation
og:image:heighttags if Facebook is having problems loading the image when the post is shared for the first time
- Added the possibility to choose the Twitter Card Type
- It’s now possible to hide the author tags on pages
- Fix: SubHeading plugin was not found on multisite
- Fix: On the image attachment pages the
og:imagetag was not correctly set
- Fix: Several PHP notices fixed
- Updated FacebookLocales.xml
- Fix: Fatal error integrating with WPSEO’s last version
- Fix: Checking for post_type when saving the meta box field and updating/purging Facebook Open Graph Tags cache to avoid doing it when unnecessary
- Fix: error checking and reporting when updating/purging Facebook Open Graph Tags cache to avoid fatal errors on failure
- Fix: change Facebook cache update call from https to http to avoid errors on some server configurations
- Updated FacebookLocales.xml
- Each time a post/page is saved we try to update/purge Facebook Open Graph Tags cache so you can share it right away from the post edit screen
- Forced Excertps support on Pages so that it can be used as the post description
- Added HTTP REFERER and USER AGENT to the cURL calls when trying to get image size by url
- Fix: Some validations when trying to get image size by url
- Fix: A lot of php notices and warnings were supressed
- Fix: (Another) debug message removed
- Fix: Debug message removed
- Added article published and modified date/time tags
- Added “article:section” tag
- Several fixes regarding getting the content or media gallery image size
- Several fixes on the way the defaults and settings are loaded to avoid php warnings and notices
- Some changes on the default values for first time users
- Fix getting image size when a remote image is used on the post content (thanks contemplate and Steve)
- Change the way the default settings are load so that even settings that are not user defined will be available (like the new image minimum size which is, for now, “hardcoded”)
- Fix where servers with allow_url_fopen disabled would not be able to get_image_size for post content or media gallery images (thanks joneiseman)
- Added Google+ Publisher tag
- Fix on some Portuguese translation strings
- Ignore images bellow 200×200 when searching images from the post content and media gallery, because Facebook also ignores them
- Changed name to “Facebook Open Graph, Google+ and Twitter Card Tags”
- Added Twitter Card tags
- Added new tag “article:publisher” in order to link the article with a Facebook page
- Added new tags “article:author”, meta author and Google+ link rel in order to link the article with his author (Facebook profile, Name and Google+ profile)
- Title, URL, Description and Image Meta/Google+/Twitter tags can now be set even if Open Graph ones aren’t
- Several HTML/CSS tweaks on the settings page
- Fix: esc_attr on all tags
- Added filters for title, description and images, so another plugin or theme can override these values. The filters are fb_og_title, fb_og_desc and fb_og_image
- Fix: Specific post image was not working properly
- Added a “Clear field” button to the specific post image options box
- When the homepage is set as a static page, the “homepage description” section on the settings page will reflect that
- Fix: a debug var_dump was left uncommented
- readme.txt adjustments
- WordPress SEO by Yoast, now Yoast SEO, integration: title, url (canonical) and description can now be fetched from this very popular SEO plugin
- Corrected a nasty bug which would break the “Add Media” option. Thanks to @flynsarmy (yet again)
- Fix: version field upgrade on the database
- Plugin name changed from “Wonderm00n’s Simple Facebook Open Graph Meta Tags” to “Facebook Open Graph Meta Tags for WordPress”
- You can now set a specific Open Graph image per post, if you don’t want it to be the same as the post featured image
- Settings are now stored on a array instead of multiple variables on the options table (and necessary changes along the code)
- Internationalization support added
- Portuguese translation added (we welcome other translations if you want to do it)
- Added webdados as contributor (Wonderm00n’s company)
- Fix: Several PHP warnings when WP_DEBUG is turned on. Thanks to @flynsarmy (yet again)
og:typewas not set correctly for the homepage in case it was a static page. Thanks to yakitori
- Fix: When the site url was not the same as the WordPress installation folder the wrong url was used in the homepage
canonicaltag. Thanks to theonetruebix
- Using the requested url as
canonicalon not known areas of WordPress. Not really a canonical url but better than using the homepage one
- Fix in order to be compatible with “Business Directory Plugin” 3.0
- Minor fix to avoid php notices filling up error logs. Thanks to @flynsarmy (yet again).
- Fixed version number.
- Minor fix to avoid php notices filling up error logs. Thanks to @flynsarmy (again).
- Fixed FacebookLocales.xml URL.
- By default the FacebookLocales.xml is loaded from the local cache (to save on bandwidth) and it’s only loaded from Facebook URL by user request.
- Deleted some commented debug stuff and translate portuguese comments to english.
- Fixed a typo.
- Added the information about the recommended minimum image size.
- Added meta description and Schema.org name, description and image tags.
- Fixed a bug where the original, WordPress stock, Canonical URL was not being removed.
- If using the “Business Directory Plugin” integration, the
og:urltag is now correctly set in the category listing pages.
- Added the ability to set/replace the Canonical URL tag. Very important for SEO in the “Business Directory Plugin” integration.
- “Business Directory Plugin” plugin integration. It’s now possible to populate
og:imagetags with each listing details. If a featured image is set it will be used. If not, the listing main image is used.
- Minor fixes to avoid php notices filling up error logs. Thanks to @flynsarmy.
- Fixed a bug where all the settings could be lost when saving other plugins options (Shame on me!!).
- Fixed a bug where unset options would become active again. Thanks to @scrumpit.
- Fixed a typo on the settings page.
- When saving the settings the $_POST array was showned for debug/development reasons. This output has been removed.
- “SubHeading” plugin integration. It’s now possible add this field to the
- Changed the way defaults and user settings are loaded and saved, to “try” to eliminate the problem some users experienced where the user settings would disappear.
- Bugfix: “Also add image to RSS/RSS2 feeds?” option was not being correctly loaded.
- The plugin version is now showed both as a comment before the open graph tags and on the settings page.
- No changes. Had a problem updating to 0.2.2 on the WordPress website.
- Bugfix: small change to avoid using the “has_cap” function (deprecated). Thanks to @flynsarmy.
- Bugfix: when the
og:imageis not hosted on the same domain as the website/blog.
- If the option is set to true, the same image obtained to the
og:imagewill be added to the RSS feed on the
media:contenttags so that apps like RSS Graffiti and twitterfeed post them correctly.
- It’s now possible to choose how the post/page
og:imagetag is set. It means that if the user doesn’t want to use the featured/thumbnail image, or the first image in the post content, or the first image on the media gallery, or even the default image, he can choose not to.
- Added the
og:localetag. This will be the WordPress locale by default, but can be chosen by the user also.
og:typetag can now be set as “website” or “blog” for the homepage.
- A final trailing slash can now be added to the homepage url, if the user wants to. Avoids ‘circular reference error’ on the Facebook debugger.
- Fixed the namespace declarations.
- Type “website” was being used as default for all the urls beside posts. This is wrong. According to Facebook Open Graph specification only the homepage should be “website” and all the other contents must bu “article”. This was fixed.
- On Category and Tags pages, their descriptions, if not blank, are used for the
- If the description comes out empty, the title is used on this tag.
- Changed the plugin priority, so that it shows up as late as possible on the tag, and it won’t be override by another plugin’s Open Graph implementation, because other plugins usually don’t allow to disable the tags. If you want to keep a specific tag from another plugin, you can just disable that tag on this plugin options.
- Settings link now shows up on the plugins list.
- Small fix to ensure admin functions only are running when on the admin interface.
- Some admin options now only show up when the tag is set to be included.
- Fixed the way Categories and Tags pages links were being retrieved that would cause an error on WP 3.0.
- Added the option to use a Custom text as homepage
og:descriptioninstead of the Website Tagline.
- Fixed a bug that wouldn’t allow to uncheck the
- Shortcodes are now stripped from
og:adminsnot to be included by default.
- Just fixing some typos.
- Fixing a bug for themes that do not support post thumbnail.
- Adding Open Graph Namespace to the HTML tag.
- First release.