Create your custom 404 Page as a normal WordPress Page using the full power of WordPress. You can use a Custom Page Template or Custom Fields, you can set a Featured Image – everything like on every other Page. Then go to ‘Appearance’ -> ‘404 Error Page’ from your WordPress Dashbord and select the created Page as your 404 error page. That’s it!
Watch the video
Why you should choose this plugin
- Different from other similar plugins the 404page plugin does not create redirects. That’s quite important because a correct code 404 is delivered which tells search engines that the page does not exist and has to be removed from the index. A redirect would result in a HTTP code 301 or 302 and the URL would remain in the search index.
- Different from other similar plugins the 404page plugin does not create additional server requests.
Do you like the 404page Plugin?
Thanks, I appreciate that. You don’t need to make a donation. No money, no beer, no coffee. Please, just tell the world that you like what I’m doing! And that’s all.
The 404page Plugin uses GlotPress – the wordpress.org Translation System – for translations. Translations can be submitted at translate.wordpress.org.
Translation are highly appreciated. It would be great if you’d support the 404page Plugin by adding a new translation or keeping an existing one up to date. If you’re new to GlotPress take a look at the Translator Handbook.
More plugins from Peter
- hashtagger – Use hashtags in WordPress
- smart Archive Page Remove – Completely remove unwated Archive Pages from your Blog
- smart User Slug Hider – Hide usernames in author pages URLs to enhance security
- See all
The 404page plugin was sucessfully tested by the author with the following themes
- Customizr (Read more about Customizr Compatibility Mode)
- Twenty Ten
- Twenty Eleven
- Twenty Twelve
- Twenty Thirteen
- Twenty Fourteen
- Twenty Fifteen
- Twenty Sixteen
- Twenty Seventeen
- Zerif Lite
The 404page plugin was sucessfully tested by the author with the following starter themes
The 404page plugin was sucessfully tested by the author with the following plugins
- Page Builder by SiteOrigin
- User Submitted Posts
- WP Super Cache(Read more about WP Super Cache Compatibility
- WPML WordPress Multilingual Plugin(officially approved by WPML team)
The plugin adds an action hook 404page_after_404 which you can use to add extra functionality. The exact position the action occurs after an 404 error is detected depends on the Operating Method. Your function must not generate any output. There are no parameters.
If you are a theme developer you can add native support for the 404page plugin to your theme for full control. Read more.
From your WordPress dashboard
- Visit ‘Plugins’ -> ‘Add New’
- Search for ‘404page’
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
Manually from wordpress.org
- Download 404page from wordpress.org and unzip the archive
- Upload the
404pagefolder to your
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Are there any requirements?
To enable the WordPress 404 error handling you have to set the Permalink Structure (‘Settings’ -> ‘Permalinks’) to anything else but ‘Default’. Otherwise 404 errors are handled by the webserver and not by WordPress.
- Are 404 errors redirected?
No, there is no redirection! The chosen page is delivered as a ‘real’ 404 error page. This results in a HTTP 404 code and not in 301 or 302, which is important for Search Engines to tell them, that the page does not exist and should be deleted from the index.
- What about PHP Version 7?
The plugin works smoothly with PHP 7.
- Is it possible to add custom CSS to the 404 page?
The 404page plugin adds a CSS class
<body>tag which can be used for extra styling.
Simple and easy to use. Great for my need.
Works like a charm on my site running Avada 5.0.4 & WP 4.7.3. No compatibility mode necessary.
Works without problems
For some reason, after an update of both WP and my theme (Cyberchimps Responsive), the google-search function was disappeared from the standard 404-page! Also the SEOplugin from famous Yoast was updated, so I had no clue which one of them was the cause of this disappearing… 🙁
Since I am not able to write .php-thingies, I just looked for an easy way out.
And that is just this briljant plugin!
I now can use a page of my own website, which I can edit just as I want it!
Easy to use and very helpful. I had no problems.
I needed a simple 404 page, nothing fancy but enough control to get what I wanted. And this did all I needed it to do.
Contributors & Developers
“404page – your smart custom 404 error page” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- ensure that all core files are loaded properly (See Topic)
- Polylang plugin does no longer require Compatibility Mode (See Topic)
- hide all translations if WPML is installed and “Hide 404 page” is active (thanks to the WPML guys for pointing me at this)
- post status fix (See topic)
- Enfold theme issue fix (thanks to the guys at Kriesi.at for supporting me)
- a few minor bug fixes solve some problems with page templates in certain combinations
- automatic switch to Compatibility Mode for several plugins removed
- enhanced support for WPML and Polylang
- remove the 404 page from search results (for all languages if WPML or Polylang is used)
- remove the 404 page from sitemap or other page lists (for all languages if WPML or Polylang is used)
- bugfix for author archives
- confusing admin message removed
- introduction of selectable Operating Methods
- several changes to Compatibility Mode for improved WPML and bbPress compatibility plus compatibility with Page Builder by SiteOrigin
- Polylang compatibility
- automatic switch to Compatibility Mode if WPML, bbPress, Polylang or Page Builder by SiteOrigin is detected
- completely new Customizr Compatibility Mode (automatically enabled if Customizr is detected)
- firing an 404 error in case of directly accessing the 404 error page can now be deactivated
- WP Super Cache support
- option to hide the 404 error page from the Pages list
- 404 error test
- plugin expandable by action
- delete all settings on uninstall
- WPML compatibility
- bbPress compatibility
- Customizr compatibility
- directly accessing the 404 error page now throws an 404 error
error404added to the classes that are assigned to the body HTML element
- the settings menu was moved from ‘Settings’ to ‘Appearance’
- translation files removed, using GlotPress exclusively
- Read more
- edit the 404 page directly from settings page
- Portuguese translation
- technical improvement (rewritten as class)
- Spanish translation
- Serbo-Croatian translation
- Multilingual support added
- German translation
- Initial Release